Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Message Question?

As a professional media consultant, publicist and former journalist... I have seen my share of good and not so good messages. Do you have a message? I have found that many businesses and organizations have mistaken their slogans and mission statements for messages.
Slogans are for advertisements.... and mission statements are reminders to your personnel about what they should be doing to ensure they have returning patrons or clients. A business and or organization puts their mission statement out in the public eye to ensure their patrons and clients are getting the service they are promised. It's important not to confuse either for "your message."

So.... what's considered a "message" if yours seems to be taking on the disguise mentioned above? Your message should have value.... it should be genuine and needs to offer clarity.

It's not enough to say you "care" about your customers and that you "put them first" these days. EVERYONE and ANYONE can say this. Why are your clients and patrons unique to you? Why are they different then your closest competitiors clients? You need to put a "value" on your customers.

What makes your business or organization "genuine?" It can't be becuase your honest and fair. Again, Any company can make this claim. For instance, Pur Publicity is "genuine" because I feel an obligation to reveal a compelling story about the people I represent. I stand behind the person(s) I represent not just their business or organization.

Is your message clear?.... And by "clear" I don't mean "obvious." If you own a paper shreding business... I don't need your message to tell me you shred paper. Perhapes instead your paper shreding business is in business to keep its customers most valued information out of the identiy theft trap.

Tweak your message.... Find value, be genuine and offer clarity.

pur.publicity@gmail.com
Find me on Twitter under Pur Publicity!
http://twitter.com/purpublicity

No comments:

Post a Comment