Monday, June 22, 2009

The Power of Social Media

I just completed a project with a great guy out of Minneapolis, MN. Terry Daniel, a voice over pro who has had a long career using his voice to engage people.

Terry recently contacted me to work with him, via Facebook.... We were collaborating on a project involving social media and how creative services pros use this medium to grow their businesses. The irony of course is, he and I would have never met if it weren't for Facebook and a mutual friend based in Indianapolis, IN.

Truth be told.... I am using the same methods as he to grow my publicity firm. If you caught a recent TIME magazine cover story, you would have read about Twitter and how it's changing the way we communicate and even do business these days. I plan to use this as my main source of growing Pur Publicity. It's an experiment.... but one I know will pay off, rather than being some kind of "shot in the dark."

Terry says he has picked up over a dozen "clients" .... yes clients.... those who actually write him checks.... just this year alone. That is proof enough for me! Sign me up, slap a big fat publicity label on me.... put me on a plane anywhere... and I'll be your PR gal!

Social media makes the world so very small. Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, You Tube and others like LinkedIn.... are almost a prerequisite to do business in this day and age. You might be surprised to know how many of your co-workers or friends are using these sites to promote themselves, or maybe the small business or band they're starting. I find the whole idea of this sort of networking intriguing.... fascinating.... and flat out addicting!

I have this innate sense of wanting to "connect".... be it with businesses or non-profits... or even a friend of a friend who had a great tip on how to grill fish on the BBQ. I have been using Facebook solely for the past couple months. Now, after doing more research for this latest project.... you are going to see a lot more of me and Pur Publicity on Twitter. I took a huge step today by adding 50 people who I now follow. Funny enough... it spreads like wild-fire.... I now have over a dozen new people following me on Twitter. (yep, just from today)

My best tip in making the leap into the social networking game.... be open. Keep every door open, within reason, because you just don't know who is watching your tweets. You never know if that friend request will turn into dollars in your business account!

Thanks to Terry... I am now exploring a segment of business I never even knew existed!... podcast writing! I've been writing for years and years.... but I never thought of exploring becoming a podcast writer! Social Networking will not only bring business to your inbox.... it will also help you grow your hidden talents! So, be open..... the cyber skies are filled with endless opportunities!

Contact me if you need publicity help! I'm here.... and I care about your message!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, we will post your Methods of hydroponics article. I will post for our customers to see your articles on your blog Methods of hydroponics

    ReplyDelete